<< Return to Menu | Have a Question? | Search | About Developer | Discussion Center User Policy

Help support this site, order your www.Amazon.com materials through this link.
Charles Lindbergh Discussion Center Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Charles Lindbergh Discussion Center » Anne Morrow Lindbergh » Why was Anne not buried with Charles?

Author Topic: Why was Anne not buried with Charles?
<harrier>
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Why aas Anne not buried with Charles? Is it because the family knew about his relationship with other women and possible children? Did Charles tell his family about his German children before he died? Any ideas?
Logged: 24.245.16.116
lkells
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for lkells   Email lkells   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles is buried in Hawaii I have tried to locate his burial site but have been unable to
I know it is on the Road to Hana - If you have any directions or map to site please let me know
lakells@aol.com

Posts: 1 | From: kentucky | Registered: Dec 2003  |  Logged: 205.204.242.21
patr
Owner & Developer
Member # 2

- posted      Profile for patr   Email patr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/charles_lindberghs_grave.html

DIRECTIONS:
The Palapala Ho'omau Church is located 8 miles south of Hana on the ocean side of the highway. A small road just past Mile Marker #41 leads to the church.

Posts: 183 | From: Cameron, WI | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 63.231.183.146
Juan
Member # 140

- posted      Profile for Juan   Email Juan       Edit/Delete Post 
Anne was not buried with Charles because she chossed not to. I believe the family scattered her ashes in many places that were dear to her. Speaking of the grave in Maui anyone visiting it should be aware that it is not easy to locate and that it takes quite a long drive to reach the intersection leading to the church. My suggestion while trying to visit the grave is to allow yourself a lot of time to reach it. I can tell you by personal experience as flash flooding once prevented me to reach it. By the way the graveyard is not a public place and access is rather restricted.
Posts: 41 | From: Mexico City | Registered: Oct 2003  |  Logged: 200.66.98.114
<Sherry McClure>
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A friend just visited the gravesite in Maui. I am trying to track down more information--but it was told to my friend that Lindbergh was buried with his couch (or sitting on his couch). Have you ever heard of this? I am trying to find out more.
Logged: 209.78.197.4
Allen
Member # 32

- posted      Profile for Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sherry,

I had only heard about blankets being used for CAL's final burial. Have you checked Berg's biography of Lindbergh (widely available)?

Anne herself was cremated as stated above.

Allen
http://www.lindytruth.org

Posts: 359 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 64.12.117.9
daisy
Member # 466

- posted      Profile for daisy   Email daisy       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to Maui in November and took the road to Hana. I had no problems finding CAL's gravesite, but I did watch the road markers carefully after the 7 sacred pools (about 10-15 minutes before the turnoff for CAL's grave site). It was a rather obsure site, but peaceful with a great view. You can see the big island's mountain from the edge of the churchyard.
Posts: 1 | From: dallas texas | Registered: Dec 2004  |  Logged: 66.137.250.2
Don Greer
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Don Greer   Email Don Greer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our family just returned from Maui, and visited the grave site. The church is in excellent repair, looks as if it has recently been painted. The marble slab is freshly polished, and looks in excellent condition. On the slab was a small model of the NYP plane, and a fresh lei. Grass in the graveyard is nicely mowed.
In contrast the Pryor graves are all very badly weather worn. The inscriptions will soon be hard to read.
The site is beautiful. My wife and I were struck by the emotions the site raised. How beautiful and serene, yet how lonely.

Posts: 1 | From: Boerne Texas | Registered: Jan 2007  |  Logged: 12.181.75.118
NYP
Member Moderator
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for NYP   Email NYP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per Charles Lindbergh’s instructions, he was buried inside a heavy Eucalyptus coffin wearing a pair of old Gray cotton pants and khaki shirt. He was wrapped in a Hudson Bay blanket with the pillow he sat on during his Transatlantic Flight tucked under his head according to Jean O. Saunders, Lindbergh’s secretary.

I had heard that Anne was cremated and her ashes were scattered but do not know where. It would be my guess that some made it to Hawaii to be with Charles.

Dan Clemons

Posts: 82 | From: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: Sep 2006  |  Logged: 69.232.85.144
Allen
Member # 32

- posted      Profile for Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no indication that any of Anne's ashes were ever transferred to Hawaii and there appears to have been no such instruction by her. We can only guess as to her motivation in this most personal of decisions.

Allen
http://www.lindytruth.org

Posts: 359 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.117.9

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is not enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CharlesLindbergh.com | Privacy Statement

CharlesLindbergh.com, All rights Reserved.